Woman dies and husband injured after house explosion 'caused by oxygen bottle', West Midlands, on Easter Monday

(Image: Adam Hughes / SWNS)
A disabled woman has died and her husband left with minor injuries after an explosion ripped through their home on Easter Monday.

Lynn Hadley, 67, was with partner David, 70, in their conservatory when the blast ripped through their range in Walsall, West Midlands.





Paramedics who rushed to the scene told neighbours that the accident happened while Mr Hadley was changing his wife's oxygen cylinder she wont to help her breathing and it suddenly ignited.

The conservatory was completely destroyed and therefore the roof of their end terrace house was blown apart.

Neighbours expressed their shock at Mrs Hadley's death and described her as "one during a million".

Trevor Burgess, 76, a retired HGV driver who lives two doors faraway from the couple together with his wife Mary, 66, said: "My partner Mary knows Lynn and Dave quite well. She was on the brink of them.
(Image: Adam Hughes / SWNS)

"Lynn and Dave moved in when the homes were inbuilt the 1970s. We didn't leave when it happened as i'm diabetic. We were watching from the front step.

"The damage wasn't as bad from the front but the rear has been destroyed. The rear part where the conservatory was ablaze .

"Apparently they were changing Lynn's oxygen bottle because she needed it to assist her breathing and it suddenly exploded. that is what the 2 paramedics told me who was by the house.

"They had no option. They couldn't save her. Dave was the one who raised the alarm. The conservatory has completely gone.





"It is completely devastating. you only can't know it . The emergency services were fantastic. They came from everywhere.

"There were three or four engines and about four ambulances.

"The police are outside the house all night during a van, probably to prevent people from going into the house.
(Image: Adam Hughes / SWNS)

"The family has just come now this lunchtime. we will not really leave and help them thanks to the lockdown.

"We can't offer them our condolences or maybe a cup of tea or coffee. It's completely heartbreaking. She was one-in-a-million."

Michael Oakley, 74, who lives nearby together with his wife, Josephine, 72, said: "We were told that the owner's wife was within the conservatory.





"She has an oxygen bottle and it suddenly exploded for a few reason. that's what we've been told."

A spokesman from West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "We were called to a medical case at a property on New Street within the Shelfield area of Walsall at 4.55pm on Monday afternoon.

"An ambulance crew were at the scene when there was an explosion at the house which resulted in significant damage.

"The crew managed to evacuate all of the occupants from the property apart from a lady , who was confirmed dead.

"Two further ambulances, the Hazardous Area Response Team and five paramedic officers were sent to the incident.

"A man from the property and therefore the original ambulance crew were assessed before being discharged at the scene.

"A full investigation into what happened has begun to determine the circumstances."

Breaking News

Post a Comment

0 Comments